Home


Cat Eat Chocolate

"Cat eat chocolate is toxic for cats and requires an immediate call your your emergency veterinarian. Treatment includes vomiting, anti-seizure medications and charcoal to absorb toxins."

Chocolate can cause problems for your cat's heart and central nervous system such as a racing heart (heart arrhythmia). If your cat eats chocolate, she can become seriously ill or in severe cases die. That's because there is a chemical in chocolate called theobromine that is toxic to cats. Theobromine is a stimulant similar to caffeine. It is harmless to people, but can cause your cat to become very sick.

Different types of chocolate have different amounts of theobromine. Therefore they reach a toxic level at different amounts. Toxicity depends on the amount eaten and the body weight of your cat.

Milk chocolate- has 45 mg theobromine per ounce (1 ounce equals approximately 1 square of chocolate).

Semi-sweet chocolate- has 150 mg - 260 mg per ounce.

Baker's chocolate- has 450 mg per ounce.

Cocoa beans- have 450 - 1500 mg per ounce.

White chocolate does not have the same toxic effects.

Symptoms when Cat Eat Chocolate

If your cat eats chocolate, digestive upset such as vomiting and diarrhea may occur. This can happen immediately or may even happen the next day.

In higher doses, more severe symptoms will occur. You cat may appear restless and irritable. He may have increased urination. His heart rate will increase. He might have tremors or even seizures.

At toxic levels, coma or even death can result. If your cat has eaten any of the chocolates listed above, you need to take her to the vet right away. The vet will probably give him medication to induce vomiting.

Treatment For Cat Eat Chocolate

Within one to two hours of eating the chocolate, it will have passed through the stomach and into the small intestine where it will all be absorbed by the body. At that point, inducing vomiting will not rid your cat of the toxin.

If your cat shows signs of toxicity, she may need to be hospitalized for a time so that he can be observed and supportive therapy given for any symptoms she has. For instance, if she is having seizures, anti-convulsive medication will be given. The length of the hospitalization will depend on how much chocolate he ate, what symptoms he is showing, and the severity of the symptoms. Usually he will be kept until the theobromine has left his system. Theobromine has a half life of 7 1/2 hours. That means that in 7 1/2 hours from the time your dog eats chocolate, half the theobromine will have left his system. In another 7 1/2 hours, half of that will be gone, and so on. Symptoms can last as long as 72 hours.

Sources

www.petnutrition.com

www.dogownersdigest.com

Toxicants Associated with Stimulation or Seizures

Beasley, V.

Toxicants Associated with Stimulation or Seizures
Beasley, V.

 

From Cat Eat Chocolate to Cat Health Guide Home

Ask a Vet Online

12 veterinarians
are online now.
Ask a question,
get an answer ASAP.